Greek Shrimp & Asparagus Risotto
I was so excited that I received the The Cooking Light Gluten Free Cookbook from one of my hometown besties,Christie, for my birthday. Christie also has Celiac disease (and has had it her ENTIRE life) and understands how hard it can be to find recipes that are NOT pumped full of sugar.
Lucky for you, the cookbook has recipes (including this one) online.
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 3/4 cups chopped Vidalia onion
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3/4 cups sliced asparagus
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Bring broth and 1 cup water to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total).
– This was my first time EVER making risotto!
3. Stir in asparagus and shrimp; cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and remaining ingredients.
Have you guys seen these new Sargento Cheese Tastings? For only about $3.00 a piece, you can make a yummy cheese plate for a fraction of your anticipated cost.
I am obsessed with my Georgia shaped cheese board my little sister got my for Christmas.
Salad: Fennel Salad
Combine 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds, and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper in a large bowl. Add 6 cups torn romaine lettuce and 1 cup of thinly slice fennel bulb; toss well to coat.
If you are like me, you will need this video to learn to cut a fennel bulb.
Hint- I used my Ninja to crush my fennel seeds.
For the record, the salad has a very strong taste (I am new to the fennel community). My friend Sam loved it! Cooking Light Gluten Free recommended it as side for the Greek Shrimp and Asparagus Risotto.
Dessert:Chocolate Coconut Yonanas
I love Trader Joe’s Simply Lite chocolates!
Check out this post to learn more about my Yonanas obsession.
Happy (gluten free) eating!