A few weeks ago, I helped host a wedding shower for my husband’s first cousin. I made spinach and artichoke dip, along with mac and cheese muffins!
The mac and cheese muffins were a huge hit! I loved how easy they were to serve to guest.
I was inspired by this recipe.
- 2 cups uncooked gluten free pasta (regular pasta works well, too!)
- I used gf penne since it was 1/2 the price of gf elbow
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 4 oz reduced fat sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- dash garlic powder
- dash red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line muffin tins with parchment muffin cups.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook for about 10 minutes (8 minutes if not gluten free), it should still be a little bit firm. Remove from the heat, drain and return to the pan; stir in the butter, egg and sour cream until pasta is evenly coated. Reserve 1/2 cup of sharp Cheddar cheese and stir the remaining Cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan, and milk into the pasta. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the tops.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the topping is nicely browned. Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan. This will allow the cheese to set and they will hold their muffin shape.
- Remove parchment paper and serve.
Muffins taste great reheated! I made mine early in the day,placed them on my Wilton serving tray (that can go in the oven) and then reheated before the party.